PRAY FOR THE PEOPLE OF LAOS
The Ninth Party Congress is to be held in three or four month’s time. The Party Congress is a five yearly meeting in which the all-powerful Politburo and Central Committee are chosen and the five-yearly national plan approved. In reality these decisions are made behind the scenes in advance of the Party Congress. There could be a struggle for power between groups representing the interests of northern and southern Laos, and those favoring greater allegiance with either Vietnam or China. Competition between these regional interest groups is likely to become more intense in the coming months as whichever group gains control of the Politburo and Communist Party Central Committee will benefit most from corruption and patronage networks.
· Pray for wisdom for the new Prime Minister, Thongsing Thammavong, and all those who serve in the Communist Party and Lao Government.
· Ask God to overrule in the decisions as to who is in the new Politburo and Communist Party Central Committee, and in any decisions that are made in the upcoming Ninth Party Congress.
· Pray for action to be taken at the highest levels to curb corruption.
· Pray for government and party officials who have had previous contact with Christians and heard the Gospel to seek the Lord themselves and be favorable towards Lao believers.
· Pray for a group of Jesus’ disciples, in every village of Laos, worshipping in their heart language.